Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back to School!

It's that time of year again!

Time for bouquets of sharpened pencils (no. 2, of course) and the smell of new books.

Aaaahhhh!


Being homeschoolers, we don't really get into that whole back-to-school thing. There are no new clothes, backpacks, or lunch boxes. Being the product of public school, I have a tendency to feel sadly about this. And then I remember that the first day of school is only the first day. Then reality sets in. It's in this "reality" where you would find our reasons for homeschooling.


Anyhoo, I do try to make it special, but I think my attempts go overlooked. To them, there's no difference in the way breakfast tastes or the fun-level in making their beds, no matter how I try to convince them. They remain skeptical. And I get the feeling that my kids do get tired of me saying, "It's the first day of school!" over and over in an attempt to make them feel like we should be celebrating in some way.

They do, however, appreciate the brand-new sharpened pencils.


This year we have a third-grade veteran and a preschool newbie. Of course, Gi-Gi, being more experienced at this "school-thing", is so gracious and encouraging of Bubba. For example, while he's coloring a picture she says, "Oh, Bubba! That a good job, for a preschooler." Or perhaps while he's putting beads on a string, "That's great, Bubba, for a preschooler."

Catch that?

What are big sisters for?

I'm just waiting for the comment, "That was a good meal, for a Mama."

So we're off on our grand adventure of learning this year! Ready to go with us?

1 comment:

AudyCamp said...

ok what a trip!... to see "Gi Gi" writing just like her mama. i totally remember your arm & hand curving exactly like that when you write. congrats on the beginning of your school year..& yes it is nice to save some money on the dreaded school supply list, backpacks, clothes etc.