Thursday, July 2, 2009

Apples and Shirshee

My grandma, aka Shirshee, is known for her apple pies. Well, any kind of pie, really. Growing up, I always knew that I wanted to make pies like her in that great someday of being grown up.

So, now I'm grown up. At least, that's what my children (and responsibilites) tell me. Time to make pies!


Shirshee has a friend who has apples trees. Yes, there are apple trees in Arizona. Every year, this friend gives Shirshee bags and bags of apples and then Shirshee uses them to make apple pie fillings or homemade applesauce and then freezes them. Smart lady, huh?


Last week, Shirshee came over to help me (okay, I helped her) make my own pie fillings and apple sauce. We had children running in between our legs, trying to help us at every turn. What wonderful memories my kids are making, I hope! Best of all, Shirshee made special "pink" applesauce, which practically sent Ya-Ya into rapturous delight!



After a day in the kitchen, we ended up with four pie fillings and seven applesauces. It may not seem like a lot, but believe me, that's nothing to sneeze at! Oh, and we had two tuckered out ladies.


What do you like to make from scratch? Is there something that you, as a child, really wanted to learn to make?

1 comment:

AudyCamp said...

Your Grandma is the cutest lady ever! She is such a sweetheart too. How fun of her to make that with you and your kids!!