Friday, July 3, 2009

Stars and Stripes Forever!

Ooooooo! Another holiday is here and I am chair dancing happily!

I heart Independence Day. I love the colors, the music, the history, the John Philip Sousa marches playing (former marching band nerd here!)...

One of my goals as a parent is to show my kiddos what these holidays really mean. Yes, it's wonderful to spend the day in the pool, grill out, and watch fireworks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking that at all! Anytime we can cook outside during the summer is alright by me.

What I am saying is that I want my kids to have an appreciation of those who went before us and sacrificed, sometimes everything, to create this amazing place that we live in. These people truly believed from the depths of their being that they were following the will of God to form this country. They were driven by their purpose!

And so, from an early age, our kids have been thrown into the patriotic fervor that lives at our house all year long, but especially around this time. Now, we don't exactly reenact Revolutionary battle scenes in the back yard. No, no, no. That would just be silly. Nope, that will happen next year. We do, however, try to get them to understand the importance of this day.

Here is where I get dreadfully politically incorrect. Ready?

Brace yourself.

I really and truly believe that we live in the most blessed nation on Earth.

As a great teaching tool, we have this book:



America: A Patriotic Primer by Lynne Cheney.

Fantastic illustrations and it gives just brief descriptions of everyday, All-American fun stuff.

Good, good reading for the whole family!

Happy Birthday, America!

How do you celebrate the fourth? Are there any favorite family traditions that take place?

1 comment:

AudyCamp said...

Amen Sista!! Happy 4th! How wonderfully blessed we are to live in this country!