Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Whaddya think?

I'm converting.

What?!, you may ask.

Yes, you read correctly. I'm converting.

"To what?", you may ask.

Well, I'm trying to decide if I go all the way or just dabble a little bit.

I guess I'm still working that out.

Oh, and by the way, I want to be Amish. Or maybe Mennonite (the Amish cousin).

Hmmm, what'll it be? Maybe I should think a little more about this.

I've always been attracted that kind of lifestyle, simple and slow. I'm amazed, especially, with the women and the things they can do. They cook (from scratch), clean (outhouses. Ewwww!), bear children (many times three times the number I have), plant enormous gardens (both for their own use and pleasure), make all of their own clothes, as well as awe-inspiring quilts, by hand and knit or crochet anything their family or other's may need. This, I'm sure, is only scratching the surface. Plus, take into account that there is no electricity (unless you're Mennonite).

Do these women have more hours in their day than I do? Where do they get this enormous amount of stamina to get all of it done?

Um, okay, so maybe this wouldn't work for me.

Let's face it. I'm not the Amish-y kind of girl.

Here's the number one reason I can't become Amish:

I like makeup.

Yes, it's true. I would love to think that I would be okay with being a natural. But, yeah, it's not going to happen! I don't leave the house without my face slathered in the stuff.

What was I thinking?! I mean, really, not shaving my legs ever again? Not a pretty thought. An outhouse? Oh, dear. Then there are my tweezers. They would have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands!

Planting a garden? This chica cannot keep a cactus alive in Arizona. Really. True story.

Plus, you know, I have to think of my family. I don't think they'd be so keen as to want to lose cameras, cd's, pink clothes (for the girls), beer (for the Hubster). Oh, and the thought of washing the cloth diapers. ~moan~

So what is a girl to do?

I've got it! I think I'll join a sewing class this summer. The first thing I'll sew is an Amish dress. *chuckle, chuckle, chuckle* That should take care of this crazy, uncontrollable idea!

Thanks for seeing me through this. Whew, crises averted!

Now, back to my blow dryer and nail polish. I'm back!!




6 comments:

Amy said...

You are so funny! But I hear ya on a more serious note... the simplicity of a life that really keeps you grounded in what is truely important is so appealing in our rushing world... oh I hear ya!

:) Amy

Gina Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina Fox said...

I have the solution to your problem. We start our own community. We buy land somewhere more fruitful than the Arizona desert. We have enough people that would go with us. All we have to keep is running water in the house, electicity, make-up if you choose, and shaving. We can make our own cuter clothes in pretty colors. We can grow our own veggies, make our own bread, cloth diapers are not so bad if we have a washing machine. We could do it. It would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Would it really be the slower life if we had all that to do from scratch. Sounds dreadfully busy to me. How about we hire Amish women to do all that for us while we just sit and homeschool and eat their healthy homegrown food and take long hot baths in our jet tubs and read.
Love Megan

Piper Paradise said...

Found your blog via We are THAT family this evening. We are a homeschooling family in queen creek - what a small world. Have enjoyed reading your blog!!!!

Aaron said...

I know where you can get some supplies