Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Our Yearly Visitor

Let's just get it out there. I'm not a bird-lover. It's not that they're not wonderful examples of God's creativity, I just don't like them around me. I love to hear them singing outside my window in the morning. Really, I do. However, I don't want to be close enough to have physical contact with them.
One of the few exceptions to this rule is "Buttercup". For the past three years around this time, we have a mama hummingbird who comes and makes an amazing, intricate nest in our wind chime on our patio. We have been in awe that, not only does she keep coming back, but the patience and diligence of building a nest for her family every year.
The first year, we were so sad because both of her teeny eggs fell out of the nest. Last year, one egg fell, one egg hatched and we were allowed to watch the transformation of this tiny baby into a birdy so big he was pushing Mama out of the nest! This year, we'll have to see what happens.
We laugh because this mama has seemed to adopt our family. She follows us from the front to back yard while we're doing yard work and doesn't seemed at all perturbed when they're out in back acting like a bunch of wild things!
I love that our children are able to celebrate the gift of life in all forms! Now we'll see who wins the "Name the Baby Hummingbird" contest this year.


1 comment:

Amy said...

O my goodness, how precious is that little guy??!! lol!!! Too too cute!